Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Eenie Meenie Miney Moe

I'm trying something new...I have a little box on the right hand side of the page that should say the title of a song...this week it says "Ashes On Your Eyes."  You can click on it and listen to this wonderful song by Deb Talan.  Woo!
So aside from a near-death experience on Sunday, life has been pretty much similar.  The farmer's market has sped up QUITE a bit...we sold all the bread and almost all the cheese!  It was a crazy day, that Saturday.  I do chores in the morning, so I'm up at 4:30, and then go straight to the market.  The market itself is pretty exhausting...talking to people about cheese from 8:30 - 12:30.  I came back to the farm for a few hours, and then headed to Molly's lake house for her birthday party (it was a lot of fun, and I'm going to leave it at that).  I didn't get to sleep until 2AM, so I was awake for 22 hours!  When I was driving back from the lake the next morning, I almost killed myself by skidding off the road (nearly hitting a tree)...it was a good lesson in driving the speed limit.  It was fine, though.  My car was a bit messed up, but some friendly Vermonters stopped to help me and I was able to drive back to the farm.
Most things I've been eating lately are Red, White, and Green.  Red is usually tomato, White is usually some kind of goat cheese, and Green is any number of things, including kale, avocado, arugula, basil, lettuce, etc.  This combo has never failed me.  The colors of the Italian flag are the way to go for simple snacks and meals.  Put three things on a piece of bread and you're set.  The following recipe is not red, white, and green, but it's still delicious.
Veggie Burger of Awesomeness
1 veggie burger patty (I used Amy's...I also like Dr. Praegers/anything that doesn't remind me too much of actual meat) (Or make your own, of course)
Lettuce
Avocado Slices
Tomato Slices
Sprouts (I didn't have them, but it would be delicious...make it and I will live vicariously through you)
Onion Slices
Sliced garlic or garlic scapes
Balsamic Vinegar 
Olive Oil
Salt
Put onion slices, garlic, olive oil, salt, and a bit of balsamic vinegar in a sauce pan over low heat.  Cook gently, until onions are soft and caramelized and sweet and yummy...about 15 minutes?  Cook veggie burger as specified on your particular package.  Top with lettuce, tomato, onions, avocado, and sprouts.  Eat...well, attempt to eat.  It's a bit messy.  
Tomorrow is my day off!  I am going to do laundry, possibly take my car to a dealer in Rutland, maybe bake something exciting, and participate in a Blue Ledge Farm field trip to see Wall-E.
Good night.

No comments: