Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day 2




Today was a really cool day.  I spent the majority of it in the cheese house.  I started working at around 8:00, took a break for lunch, and then worked until about 4:30.  Greg had gotten a delivery of a lot of cow's milk from a cow farmer friend of his, and we used it to start making their one cow's milk cheese.  The cheese is a cross between a camembert and a brie, so they call it a "Camembrie."  Cute, huh?
The milk had come right from the cow and was still warm when we poured it into the vat to pasteurize it (awesomeness to the max).  The metal containers that the milk came in were large and heavy and Greg and I lifted them together and poured them into the big bulk tank...he said I was the best lifter they had had yet, so I guess my gymnast muscles are still somewhat intact.  Yay!  It was really amazing to watch the entire process...we pasteurized the cheese, added the cultures (bacteria) and rennet, cut the curds, and then started to pour the curds into moulds.  This whole process took all day, and it's not even close to done.  I ended up wet, aching, and covered in whey, but happy.  
I just made dinner for myself...for Laura's sake, I will include the recipe.  I ate soba two days in a row...but it's yummy and has good protein so I don't mind.
Sesame Soba Noodles with Arame (seaweed)
Soba Noodles
Arame
Sesame Seeds
Garlic
Soy Sauce
Ginger
Nutritional Yeast
Toasted Sesame Oil
Cook arame and soba according to package directions.  Saute garlic and sesame seeds with sesame oil.  Add arame and soba, and soy sauce, ginger, and nutritional yeast to taste.  Eat!
Exciting fact:  There is going to be another intern here starting June 2nd whose name is Tucker...he lives in Weybridge, which is very close by, so he's living at home.  Another intern is working at the cow dairy that we got our cow milk from, down the road.  I think her name is Laura.  So there are other people here!  Maybe I will actually have some sort of life!  Doubtful.

5 comments:

Nick said...

I'm not sure I wanted to know about how cheese is made. I like to think of it as a magically delicious substance of magically mysterious origins.




not so much formerly-liquid cow secretions.

Laura said...

Thank you for the recipe my love.

The cheese making sounds amazing!!! Oh I'm so glad you're having fun.

Unknown said...

You should make farm friends.

And talk about farm things.

Yay farm nerds! This sounds like so much fun :D

Lisa said...

Haha Sam I love you.
Laura- You're quite welcome...more to follow.
Nick - Oh, get over it, you drama queen. Liquid cow secretions = milk. There, now that doesn't sound so bad, does it?

Steph said...

I LOVE CHEESE!!! and im glad u found some friends...thats exciting.