Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday on the Farm



Sunday on the farm is the same as every other day because there really is no weekend on the farm.  They milk the goats twice a day, every day.  Even on Christmas and Thanksgiving...the goats are like time, and they wait for no man.  
This Sunday morning I woke up and expected to meet Hannah in the barn, but she slept in because she was up coughing all night : (  So I was left to milk, udderly alone (wow...puns are actually NEVER funny).  But I didn't have any problems, and the goats were behaving quite nicely, so it was fine.  It was fun, even.  You know when you're alone and you are bored so you talk/sing to yourself?  Or that could just be me...
Anyway, today I was singing to myself, and I adapted "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" into "Do Your Teats Hang Low?"  I think the goats were pleased by my rendition.  
After milking I worked in the cheese house, pouring curds to make crottina.  I have to lift this pitcher full of heavy coagulated milk for long periods of time.  My arm muscles are going to be ridonculous.  Especially being short, because I have to hold this pitcher over high tables and pour steadily.  It's funny because the whole farm was designed by two six-foot-tall people, and consequently I have to stand either on a stool or my toes for half of the day.
Once I was done in the cheese house, I had to deliver an order of cheese to Cafe Provence, a restaurant reputed to be one of the best in the state (Parents, when you visit, that is where we are going).  It was cool know that the cheese from my farm is being used in this highly rated restaurant.
And then I had the rest of the day off!  
My day was spent taking pictures with Livia, and admiring her expert photography (the goat picture is hers), and making dinner.
I made something kinda ridiculous and complicated for dinner and I'm not going to post a recipe because it was probably not worth the time it took to make.  However, I am putting a picture of it on here because it LOOKED really good.  It was an Indian spiced lentil stew with chick peas, tomatoes, and kale over brown rice.  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Lisa - your life there sounds so interesting - although I don't think I could deal with the early morning wake-up - but actually I am here at the shore with Amira and Riley and thats a pretty early wake up call too

I am so excited for you though that you will be having another intern - just nice to have another young person there

How could you work on a goat farm and not eat the cheese?

I love reading this

Have Fun - Love - Aunt Shelley

Susanna said...

KITTENS!!

...that's sorta all i had to say : )

Lisa said...

aren't they cute? there's five of them and i want to take them home with me but i can't because my siblings are allergic and because my dogs would eat them.

Susanna said...

your dogs would....eat them?

Lisa said...

yeah my dogs are vicious miniature poodles...they ate my pet mouse.

Steph said...

kittens are so freakin cuteee!!!! ahhhhh!!!!! <3