Saturday, May 31, 2008

Rutland Market

This will be a short post because I want to go to sleep...
Today was Saturday, which means market day.  I woke up early to milk the goats, and then got dressed in my Blue Ledge Farm shirt and squeezed into the truck.  It's about a 30 minute drive to Rutland, but the views were gorgeous, so it seemed to take no time at all.  The morning was very misty and damp, and the mountains were just blue-grey silhouettes in the distance.  I think it's actually more lovely when it's rainy than when it's sunny.  We were worried that the market would be slow because of the bad weather, but it was bustling!  We sold all the cheese except for a camembrie and an herbal chévre and I got to keep them, which is freakin' awesome.  The Rutland market is a lot bigger and busier than the Middlebury one.  The Middlebury market generally is more about quality than quantity...Rutland had it's share of vendors offering crappy t-shirts and generic jewelry.  However, the best bread in the state, according to Hannah, is available at this market.  It's called Bear Mountain Bread and, although I have not tried every loaf in the state, I would not be surprised if this was the best.  It has a crackly crust and a chewy interior and it's absolutely delicious.  And the guy selling it is probably the most adorable old man I've ever seen.  Hannah told me he's a former Jesuit priest but he fell in love with a nun and they left and got married.  
I got paid!  Even though I spilled milk all over the floor, they paid me $60 dollars.  I got a raise!!  Now I'll be able to buy food and possibly gas!  Wowie zowie.  
There was a little festival hosted by co-op on the green in Middlebury tonight, and I went with Greg and the kids.  They had asked us to bring a goat with us, so we loaded up a tiny kid (baby goat) along with the kids (baby humans) in back seat of the truck.  This goat was the cutest thing ever...you could just pick her up and carry her around.  Livia named her Sarah.  Once we got back to the farm and put her back with the other goats, she kept trying to follow us around and wagged her tail like a dog.  I wanted to put her in my bed and pretend she was a teddy bear.
Now I'm tired and it's late...I have pictures of the bread and the goat but I'll put them up tomorrow. 
Night night.  

3 comments:

Susanna said...

pictures...of bread? seriously, hon?

Steph said...

so u go to bed at 7 ????? thats insanneeee!!!!

Steph said...

can i have that goat kid??? and im glad to see ur getting paid 3 cents an hour! sweetness.