Friday, May 23, 2008

I think I'm getting this now...



Pictured above:  Organic shelling peas from the co-op and some of the cheeses we make aging in the cheese cave underground.
I feel like I am easing my way slowly into the routine now.  I woke up at 5 today and milked and then worked in the cheese house salting the camembrie from yesterday.  At about 10:45 I was done for the morning!  I went to the co-op, bought some produce, and made some brown rice in my rice cooker (it turned out really well, and involved almost no work) until it was time for afternoon milking around 4:00.  After I milked and swept up, Hannah, Greg, Livia, and Hayden went to Livia's t-ball game.  It was cool being on the farm by myself.  I spent some time with the barn cats (who now follow me around like shadows because I gave them some attention) and the goats.  All the goats have names and Hannah knows every one.  Some are normal, like Molly and Dawn and Angelica...but some of them are weird, like LT, short for "Left Teat," because her left teat takes longer to milk than her right one.  
Tomorrow I volunteered to wake up at 4:30 and milk.  It's a Saturday, so I am going to the farmer's market!!  Hannah and I take turns selling cheese and watching the kids.  It's Middlebury College's graduation weekend, so it's going to be crazy crowded.  I'm excited though, because I can walk around and buy food...kinda my favorite thing to do.  Ever.
Tonight's Recipe (it was quite good.  I recommend it, Laura):
Brown Rice with Kale and Arame 
Cooked brown rice
Kale of any kind
Arame (cooked)
Garlic
Sesame Seeds
Sesame Oil
Soy Sauce
Ground Ginger
Nutritional Yeast
Steam kale for a few minutes until it tastes good to you.  Saute garlic and sesame seeds in sesame oil.  Add kale and arame, saute, then add brown rice.  Add soy sauce, ground ginger, and nutritional yeast to taste.  YAY!

4 comments:

Susanna said...

i'm happy you've found some cat friends, since apparently human companionship is lacking.

the pictures are coming out so nicely! i miss you ooooooodles...this is gonna be a LONG summer, with our schedules SO not in sync like this.

at this rate, i think i'll be awake until you wake up this morning. shoot me an IM, in case we overlap at all.

i get so excited when i see you've updated your blog. it's almost like we're still communicating. almost.

Lisa said...

hey, i totally texted you today! that's communication...or it would have been if you had texted me back, you big buttface. although, i suppose the subject matter was not to your liking.

Susanna said...

i look at it, sighed deeply and with much exasperation, and closed my phone : )

Lisa said...

hey, i had to share my excitement with someone. and i obviously can't tell hannah and greg.