Saturday, May 24, 2008

Farmer's Market!



I took some pictures when I woke up this morning...the first is the moon at 4:30 AM, and the second is the Old Barn...I was trying to capture the fog and the mountains.  In the morning, everything in wreathed in great swaths of mist.  (Wreathed in great swaths of mist?  Really?)
Today was many things.  It was exciting, fun, exhausting, and stressful.  It's Saturday, which means farmer's market day.  The market was on a field in Middlebury across from a picturesque waterfall.  I was so busy that I sadly did not have time to take any pictures, but it was beautiful, take my word for it.  I'll take pictures when I go back in two weeks (next week we go to a market in Rutland).  
I woke up at 4:30 (earlier and earlier, every day) and milked, and then we packed up the truck and headed off to the market.  When I wasn't selling, I walked around and bought things.  I got some lavender oatmeal goat's milk soap (it smells SO GOOD), award winning Vermont maple syrup (obviously), and a samosa from the samosa man (yum).  It was so fun to sell the cheese and watch people's faces as they tasted it...because it really is very good.  We sold all the cheese and eggs we brought with us, amazingly.  We even sold some goat meat.  Yes, they sell goat meat...it makes me a little sad.  Except not so much, because after dealing with these goats everyday I kind of want to kill them myself.  Just kidding...
For those of you who know Molly Smith (from Conn), she stopped by to see me at the market, which was nice because it's been a while since I've seen anyone I know or even anyone my age.  I also met an intern who is working down the road who seems really cool...her name is Laura and she goes to UVM.  And she knows Molly, actually.
My favorite thing about Hayden, the 3-year-old, is that he cannot pronounce most words correctly.  When he says my name, it sounds very much like "Saweesha."  I would like everyone to refer to me as Saweesha from now on...I think it has a nice ring.  
I am being an awful vegan...I eat cheese every day.  It's kinda hard to avoid, not that I'm trying or anything.  I mean, I'm making cheese.  That's what I'm doing for three months, and it's not like I'm not going eat it.  It's so good too.  I'm still not eating milk, butter, or eggs...just cheese.  For dinner Greg made burritos that were SO AMAZING...it was refried beans and peppers and onions and a little eggplant in whole wheat tortillas topped with cheese and baked.  I usually eat dinner  by myself but I had made rice and Greg asked if I wanted to share my rice and share their dinner.  That reminds me:
Cute fact about the farmer's market...other venders come over and ask if we want to trade!  THEY BARTER.  IT'S SO ADORABLE.  They just trade equally valued goods.  One of the bread vendors came over and was like, "Would you like to trade some cheese for some bread?"  Why aren't all transactions so simple?

4 comments:

Susanna said...

samosa man? you're adorable.

Laura said...

OHHHHH...

the farmers market sounds SO amazing. I'm SO FREAKIN' JEALOUS OF YOU. There are no organic food co-ops or farmers markets here. So sad...

Just so you know, I'm not being a good vegan either. In fact, I've been a worse vegan than you have recently. However, I've only eaten dairy products when they were free, and offered to me. I have not PURCHASED any. So basically I'm vegan unless I'm being a freegan... which is longwinded for bullshit.

I love you. I wish we were remotely on the same schedule so I could call you.

Mohd Asyari said...

wow..amazing farmer

Steph said...

farmers market sounds sooo awesome! soap!!!!