Monday, June 2, 2008

Sorry, Guys...

So I've been a pretty terrible blogger lately...but I have been really busy.  So where did I leave off?  Oh, yes.  Sunday.  Oh, it's only been one day since I posted!  That's not so terrible.  So my Sunday schedule is lovely, because I work in the cheese house from 8-12 and then I'm done!  I can wake up late and get out early.  I didn't know what I wanted to do with my half day off, and I was determined not to sit around by myself, so I decided to finally contact the one person I know up here, Molly.  And she was a good friend and invited me to hang out with her and her friend Abby.  Wooooo people my own age!  We went to get ice cream (which I don't eat, sadly) and walked around Middlebury.  Oh, fun fact about Vermont!  Not only are they the state with the largest number of western Buddhist converts, but they also call soft-serve ice cream "creemees."  It's like, "Hey, I'm bored.  Wanna go get a creemee?"  I think it's cute but I'm pretty sure I sound ridiculous saying it.  So I'll stick with good old soft serve.  Then Molly and her mom (who I really love) and I went to see the Narnia movie, which both Molly and I had already seen.  It's so epic, everyone should see it at least twice.  But it was really nice to not be sitting alone on the farm.
Daily Blue Ledger:
My sister Rachael has cleverly come up with my daily summary title...apparently the name of the newspaper in Superman is the Daily Ledger?  Anyway, very cute, I'm a fan.
This day started out normally, 8-12 in the cheese house.  It's June 2nd, Tucker's first day!  He seems really cool.  He's going to be a senior at Middlebury, and he's an environmental science/geology major.  Anyway, I flipped and wrapped some Crottina, put together some Lake's Edge, packed restaurant tubs of chévre, and rolled chévre in herbs.  They just came up with a new chévre!  We already have plain, pepper, and herbal.  Now we're going to have walnut cranberry.  It sounds so good, but I have yet to taste it.  I've heard that there's a place that makes chévre with chocolate...I think it sounds really interesting.  In a good way.  So after my cheese duty I went to the co-op, bought some yummy food, and came back to do evening chores.  It was the first time I had to bring the goats in from the woods (they graze in all sorts of different terrain: woods, wetlands, and open fields).  It was a crazy experience.  It's actually hilarious...you call the goats, and they just come trotting along in a double file line along their little goat trail.  Getting them all in the barn took about a 1/2 hour, because some of them break away and you have to drag each back separately. 
A Goat's Tail:
When I started milking, in the very first group (the groups usually start out being well behaved and by the end are absolutely stupid) a goat jumped of the 3 foot high milking platform and ran out the barn door.  My worst nightmare had come true.  Remember when I'd written about my vision of me running up the road in spotted rain boots?  Yeah.  It happened.  Minus the roadkill.  Scariest thing ever, though.  I caught her eventually and brought her back, and that was my exercise for the day.  And after that, the rest of the goats were just their usual stubborn selves.  Once I was done milking, I had to clean up and feed the pigs (also very stressful, because of aforementioned Miyazaki film). 
Fun fact about me:  I'm dumb.  Today I got shocked by an electric fence.  The end.
Barn Swallows:
I was so tired after that milking that I just made a salad...
Mixed Greens
Black Beans
Avocado
Goat Cheese
Carrot
Sunflower Seeds
Annie's Goddess Dressing
Combine ingredients, toss, and eat.  So simple.
Sorry for the lack of pictures...they wouldn't load for some reason.  Hopefully it'll work tomorrow.

No comments: