Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Another Tuesday



Picture # 1: The sky in the Simpson's opening theme
Picture # 2: The sky in Salisbury, VT
Starting off with a story...so Greg's stepdad found my blahg online somehow (impressive and slightly creepy) (Hi Greg's stepdad, if you're reading!) and told Hannah and Greg about it, and apparently sent it to some of his family (Hi extended family!)...so my audience has grown.  It makes me feel slightly famous, and slightly nervous.  I'm just going to continue on my merry blogging way, though, and try not to censor too much.  Because then it would just be boring.
Today was another one of those crazy Tuesdays, although it wasn't really that crazy for me.  I went to bed late last night because I was up blahgging (late means 10:00), and then I woke up at 4:30.  So I was pretty tired all day, and consequently I had one of those days where I just annoyed myself to death.  Almost everything I said made me want to punch myself in the diaphragm.  So then I tried to stop speaking, which was almost as bad.  Oh, well.  I really must get more sleep.
The Daily Blue Ledger:
Woke up at 4:30 and did morning chores.  We just had a new girl freshen (I believe this means when a goat starts giving milk after having a baby? possibly?  Hannah?  Greg?) and she was so good for her second time being milked (first time being last night).  I was excited during the 2nd to last group of goats because I'd done the whole thing by myself and there were no problems.  Then during the last group I realized there were only 6 girls instead of 7, which meant one girl broke out while I was milking.  So I ran all over the field looking for a girl that hadn't been milked but I couldn't find her!  I'm really hoping there will be a day when none of these crazy things happen (milk spilling on the floor, goats jumping off platforms, missing girls, etc).  Ugh, what can I say, I'm a recovering perfectionist.  I worked in the cheese house after that.  I learned how to coat hard cheese with wax, which I'm really not very good at.  I think it might be easier if my hands were bigger and I was taller.  You dip a wheel of cheese halfway into the melted wax a few times and then spin it around so there aren't any drips.  Then you dip the other side, and then repeat the whole process.  It's really important to make sure that there aren't any pinholes in the wax, or bad molds will grow in there.  I also poured some chévre and tasted the new cranberry walnut chévre (SO YUMMY).  I think that was it...I gardened after that.  I weeded for about an hour and then Hannah and I planted corn!  I love the garden.  Oooo the spinach was ready to eat so I picked some, even though I already have a ton of spinach.  You can never have too much spinach, I always say.  I know Popeye agrees with me.
Barn Swallows:
Veggie Fried Rice
Cooked brown rice
Garlic
Fresh spinach
Button mushrooms
Red bell pepper
Peas, fresh or frozen
Sesame Oil
Flax seeds
Sunflower seeds
Flavorings: Soy sauce, Maple syrup, Nutritional Yeast, Red Pepper, Ginger Powder 
Saute garlic and red pepper in sesame oil until soft.  Add mushrooms, cook until soft, add peas and spinach, cook until spinach is wilting.  Add rice, saute until hot.  Add sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and all flavorings.  Healthy Chinese food!
Tomorrow is my day off, but I think it's going to rain.  We'll see what I do!  Your guess is as good as mine right now.

5 comments:

rachael said...

testing 1-2-3

Steph said...

u have never said "u can never have too much spinach" haha ...liar!

rachael said...

yay, it worked! now I need to learn how to text message and I will be up to speed with the young'ns. that fried rice sounds yummy. i printed the recipe. I really think you should write a cookbook. Anyway, I think I was wrong about the superman newspaper, but I am excited that you used my idea. I love reading your blog. Time for bed. Good night.

Laura said...

mmm... spinach... delicious

I might actually make that tomorrow for dinner, although I was going to try a rice dish with cashews from the indian cook book. Maybe I'll do a fusion! Do you think that the soy garden is still good? I brought it with me and I haven't used any yet.

Lisa said...

yay rachael! you're technologically savvy! i'm glad you like my blog and my recipes.

stephania, i've definitely said that. and if i haven't...well, you know how much i love spinach. it's like, unhealthy. EXCEPT IT'S SO HEALTHY!

laura, that sounds really good. definitely do a fusion. i love cashews so much. almost as much as spinach. but not quite. i think the soy garden is probably still good...does it have an expiration date? taste it and smell it and see if it's weird.