Thursday, June 26, 2008

Quiche Puff

Sorry that I've been an inconsistent blogger lately...but I've been really busy!!!  Sometimes I'm just lazy...like Monday night...and Wednesday...but listen to my Tuesday schedule, and maybe you'll understand why I wanted to go to sleep instead of blahg.  Wake up at 4:30AM.  Milk 5:00-7:00.  Feed pigs and non-milkers 7:00-7:30.  Cheese house, wrapping and packing orders 8:00-4:00PM.  Get in car, drive to Williston 5:00-6:15.  Gymnastics 6:15-8:15.  Drive home 8:15-9:30.  Eat a snack, shower, and sleep!  My Thursday schedule is the same, but I wake up at 7:00.  So maybe now you can sympathize. 
Since today is a Thursday, that means yesterday was a Wednesday, and it was my day off.  I didn't have anything planned except food shopping, but Hannah kindly invited me to go strawberry/cherry picking with her and Livia and Hayden!  If you have ever seen me in the months of June, July, August, September, and October, you know how obsessed I am with picking edible things.  Especially apples and pumpkins and blueberries, but you know, strawberries and cherries are fun too.  In Pennsylvania, especially at Linvilla Orchard, I'm pretty sure that it's cheaper to buy apples in a store than to pick them yourself.  But in good ol' Vermont, I could get tons of strawberries and cherries for only $7 something.  And Linvilla certainly doesn't have a view of mountains and Lake Champlain.  
I wasn't quite sure what to do with all of the fruit that I had collected, but I found a recipe for strawberry bread...like banana bread, but with strawberries.  Of course, my version substituted every ingredient besides the strawberries...whole wheat instead of white flour, agave nectar instead of sugar, egg replacer, Earth Balance instead of butter...oh, and I didn't use measuring cups or spoons.  You can imagine how it tasted.  Like shiit-ake mushrooms.  Actually, it's not that bad, just a bit floury.  I'm obviously not including the recipe for that, mostly because I have no idea what I did.  I really need to start following recipes again.
So exciting news!  I mentioned it in paragraph #1...I am doing gymnastics again!  I go twice a week to a gym in Williston called Green Mountain Gymnastics, and I'm part of an open gym program for middle school/high schoolers, neither of which I am.  The coach is going to be a senior in college, though, and she's really nice, so I feel fine.  Woooo for getting back in shape!  Yeah, about that...I feel like I've been run over by a tractor.  It's been more than I year since I've done gymnastics, and my body is protesting, loudly and painfully.  But it's ok!  It feels great to be back in the gym.
This is what I've been eating for dinner recently, because of my strawberry surplus.
Salad is Cruise Control for Awesome
Salad:
Any type of mild lettuce you like, washed and torn into pieces
ARUGULA....mmmm
Sliced strawberries
Small pieces, crumbles, of goat cheese (I used our herbal chévre)
Diced avocado
Sunflower seeds
Dressing:
2 parts Good olive oil
1 part Good balsamic vinegar
Maple syrup
Salt
Garlic scapes
For salad:  Combine everything in a bowl.  Duh.
For dressing:  Whisk together olive oil and vinegar.  Add a little maple syrup and salt to taste.  Slice garlic scapes into tiny thin disks and add to mixture. 
Pour dressing over salad, grab a fork and a good book, and head on outside.

No comments: