Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Breathing Tornado

I actually caught a picture of the lightening!  After maybe, 45 tries.
It was another crazy Tuesday!  I milked in the morning, so I was up before the sun...probably a good thing, because it ended up being about 1,000,000 degrees again.  I'm really starting to like the goats.  Once you get over the fact that they're stubborn and sometimes very unintelligent, you see that they each have their own distinct personality and are often reminiscent of people that you know.  Or maybe it's that most days, I see more of the goats than I do of people, and they are becoming human in my mind.  Either one.  Anyway, after I milked, I fed the pigs.  It was getting quite balmy by that point and I was all sticky and gross.  While I was filling buckets of water and whey for the pigs, I poured all this cold water over my head.  Greg noticed that I was soaking wet and asked me if I was okay...I think he thought I was dying of heat stroke and sweating to death.  But no.  I had just stuck my head under the spiget.  I gave the pigs lots and lots of water because it is so hot, and I gave myself a nice workout bringing those buckets back and forth about 10 times.  I took a break and then helped Hannah bring the goats out to the woods where it's nice and shady.  Some silly goats refused to come with us and they stayed in the barn all day.  After that I worked in the cheese house until 1:30 packing restaurant tubs, wrapping Lake's Edge and crottina, pouring chévre, washing moulds, and cleaning the bulk tank.  
We heard there was a tornado warning in the area, so we brought the goats in from the woods early.  Right after they were safely in the barn, the wind really picked up.  Every unlocked door kept banging open and shut...I felt like I was in some sort of goat farmer horror film.  You could actually see the wall of rain coming towards us.  Pretty creepy.  It ended up being a short-but-intense thunderstorm and then it was sunny again.  No worries.  And now it's a lot cooler and it's supposed to be in the high 70's tomorrow, I think.  That would be great, because I'm planning to head up to a gym (as in gymnastics, not like, treadmills) in Shelburne and take advantage of their hour of open gym.  I'd rather not have it be like PGC where it's 100 degree in the gym and the bars are dripping wet BUT WE STILL HAVE A 5 HOUR PRACTICE.  Yeah...fun times at summer workout.  
So after the non-tornado, I made dinner.  I feel like I've made something exactly like this, but it was really good.  So I'm going to post the recipe anyway.
Barn Swallows
Brown Rice With Many Things In It
A handful (literally, I took a handful) of cooked brown rice
Kale of any sort (I used some from the garden...mmm)
Arame 
Mushrooms(shitake would be more authentic, probably, but I used button)
Onion
Garlic
Fresh Ginger
Sesame seeds
Nutritional Yeast
Sesame oil
Red pepper
Soy sauce
Cut the stalks out of the kale and drop leaves into boiling water.  When they turn a vivid shade of green, fish them out and put into an ice bath.  Take them out of the ice bath and slice into strips or smaller pieces.
Cook arame according to package...soak in cold water for 5 minutes, drain, and boil for 10.
Dice onion, mince garlic and ginger.  Put in pan with sesame oil and sesame seeds.  Saute until onions are soft.  Add mushrooms, saute until soft.  Add kale, arame, and rice.  Cook until everything is hot.  Add soy sauce, nutritional yeast, and red pepper.  It would be good topped with avocado...don't know what I didn't do that.  Oh well.  Yummy healthy goodness!  SEAWEED...CRUCIFEROUS GREENS...FIBER...EAT IT....
 
I hear thunder in the distance.  When I was little, I used to call it "wonder."  Wasn't I cute?

2 comments:

Susanna said...

nice ben lee reference!

we had a BIG storm here tonight, with ridiculous amounts of lightening. i was walking out of starbucks with maile and i was like "est-ce qu'il pleut?" and right as she said "yeah, it might be raining a bi--" THE HEAVENS OPENED UPON US.

which goat is me??

Lisa said...

i'm glad someone noticed the reference! i assumed no one would recognize it or see it.

i have to think about which goat is you...i'm sure there is one, though. i'll take a picture and send it to you when i figure it out.