Friday, June 6, 2008

Banana Pancakes


Picture 1 : My fingers yesterday after washing moulds
Picture 2 : My starter
This morning when I looked out the window I saw the it was going to be a grey, chilly, rainy day.  So after I worked in the cheesehouse wrapping chévre from 8-12, I went back in my apartment, turned up the heat a bit, put on my pajamas, and put on the song "Banana Pancakes," by Jack Johnson.  And then I realized that I needed to make banana pancakes.
Barn Swallows
Vegan Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
1 large banana, sliced
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup rice/soy/hemp/almond milk
2 Tbs oil or melted Earth Balance
3 Tbs agave nectar or maple syrup or honey or juice
VERMONT MAPLE SYRUP
Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then combine and mix until just combined.  A few lumps okay...don't overmix.  Heat pan with oil or Earth Balance and pour batter to form 4 inch circles.  Place banana slices on top.  Cook until the edges look dry and you see bubbles.  Flip!  Cook for about 2 minutes on the other side, until golden brown on each side.  Serve with VERMONT MAPLE SYRUP, smile at the rain, and eat up.
Another thing that I noticed this morning, besides the rain, is that my sourdough starter has doubled in size!  It's so cool.  I wish I had taken a picture of it yesterday, so that you could compare, but just know that yesterday it was half the size and looked like goo.  Now it's bigger and frothy!  Excitement.
After lying around in my pajamas and eating banana pancakes, I changed into dirty jeans and a fleece and went to milk the goaty goats.  When I was on the third group of goats, Chris came to deliver a bunch of goat's milk (we buy milk from a farm nearby).  So I stopped milking for a little bit to help him pour these huge metals cans of milk into a tank.  Fun fact: Chris is left handed too!  I get really excited when I meet other left handed people.  Anyway, I went back to milking and for the first time, there were no crazy problems!  WOOOO!  I did spend about 5 minutes trying to get one girl in the last group up onto the platform, but eventually I succeeded.  Then I fed the pigs and made dinner.  I sauteed spinach with garlic, onions, and sesame seeds and brown rice.  I topped it with avocado slices, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast.  Yum yum.  

No comments: